Sunday, June 22, 2008

Budi’s Crushes



Back to my puppy days, when we lived in a rented apartment on the second floor. The owners of the building lived in the first floor with their two daughters.

I had strong likes and dislikes. My favorites were female species, whether human or animal, provided they had feminine qualities of beauty and softness. I did not like the stocky dark woman, who came for cleaning the house and would express my displeasure by creating a hungama, in spite of her best efforts to woo me. But I became the butt of jokes when I took instant liking for the washerwoman, who used to come twice in a week to do the laundry. I would run up to her and cling to her sari until she would pick me up in her lap giggling indulgently. While she washed clothes, I would be hanging around her splashing in the water.

As I took Baba out for walks, I sometimes, saw the two young girls of the landlords. I was eager to make acquaintance with them but sadly they never responded to my flirtatious looks.

One evening, as Runudi returned home after office, I sneaked out from the gap under the front door, climbed down the staircase and reached the first floor balcony. The younger daughter was sitting on the rocking chair reading something. I stood up on my hind legs, placing my paws on her knees. This alarmed the girl. As she saw me she let out a fearsome shrike, as if she had seen a ghost .Her mother, the landlady of the house came running to see what was happening. The girl started crying with fear - I had done no harm to her. Her mother looked at me threateningly to which I answered her back with loud barking. It all happened in a few seconds. Hearing the din downstairs, Runudi came running, grabbing me with both hands, she looked apologetically at the landlady, brought me back home shutting the door with a loud bang. I could sense it was going to be the end of my days of free movement.

That day when Babididi returned home from office she was summoned by the landlady. Babididi in the last two years had nurtured very cordial relationship with the landlords - it all went up in smoke. The landlady gave her a piece of her mind - how dare that brat living in my own house shout at me! Atrocious!! Insulting!! She won’t endure it anymore and the flat should be vacated.

Not that it troubled us very much as our own house was almost ready for moving in but it surely strained the relationship - all because of my infatuation for pretty girls. Any takers?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Budiboo I did not know the landlady asked us to vacate the flat - and all becoz of you!!!! But I do know, and I remember very well that the 'stocky dark' woman, Lakshmi, loved you a lot. She used to scoop you up (when you were still small and did not like the sound of your voice so much) and take you out for a walk (you used to be in her arms) and you were introduced to her south indian friends sitting next to the park gate in front of our house. I think, she also wanted to take you to her home to introduce you to her daughter - but that never happened because we thought you would start crying if none of the family went with you... I even have a photograph of Laksmi holding you in her arms...

Anonymous said...

Chottudidi, My likes and dislikes developed with age. In my puppy days I was submissive, as you too must have been when you were 4 months old but did'nt you too have favourites as you grew with age. Laxmi loved our family including me but afterwards as I developed a taste for sophistication, I found her lil coarse, unkempt and dirty with soiled sari from working in so many houses and would protest when she tried to be intimate with me.

Pray, send the photograph, as I am quite narcissist that way.

Anonymous said...

I am mighty glad Lakshmi used the broom on you as often as she did. You deserved it - you narcissist brat! I will have to scan that photo to upload it. So keep on waiting...

Anonymous said...

I cant agree with KD more. You do deserve the broom. But have you forgotten your first love - juthimala - rechristened Budimaala??

Anonymous said...

Chotudidi, for me it is no fun acting goody goody with everyone. So what happened between me and Laxmi was natural with no malice. You are showing me the broom, You don't know how much upset I was when I went to see you off at the airport for the first time. When every one returned back to the taxi, leaving you alone there.I kept sobbing for so long. And you say I deserve the broom. I still have crushes because I see in those girls something of my three didis.

Anonymous said...

Boodiboo, you are so hopeless. You have mastered the art of emotional blackmailing as well. What are we going to do now??!!!

Anonymous said...

Runudidi
No I have not forgotten Juthimala, she was my first crush, how can I? But her mention embarrases me as you linked me up with her and started calling her Budimala. Innocence is a casuality these days.