Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Budi Comes Home

From Budi's Diary, 5th Jan 2005

Ma calls me reincarnation of Raja, who occupied 37/G from the inception of that house till the end, leaving behind a void, which I filled up at the very last moment when they were going to bid good bye to Jamshedpur for all time, picking up the threads, where Raja had left it.

Ma believes that my coming was providence, a divine intervention, as I came against all odds. She had a sickly mobile, which she had kept on charge with twelve rupees talking time left to its credit. The taxi had been ordered, luggage packed, neighbours bidden good bye, and in that final hour the phone rang. Ma thought that it was from one of her daughters, but no! It was a male voice.

“Did you want to have a pup?”

“But who told you so?”

“Dr. Mahato, your vet”

“But we are leaving Jamshedpur, we have to catch the 1’o clock train in the afternoon. It is already noon now”

“I am coming, just wait 10 minutes for me”

"Where will you come from?”

“Sakchi”

“How can you reach in 10 minutes?”

“Leave that to me”

I came by scooter, held tightly by the pillion rider. I was scared and extremely anxious about what game fate was going to play with me but my fears were allayed, when Baba dashed a benevolent smile at me and ma cuddled me up in her lap, which felt cozy and warm. I knew that I was in safe hands.

3 comments:

KD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

And what did you think when you first set eyes on me from behind Baba, Budi boo?

Urmila said...

I thought one day when I grow upI will make a mash potato of you and lick that up.