Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Boo’s Antics


Budi wants constant attention. He becomes depressed if ignored, which leads to craziness which is manifested in varied ways.

I enjoy reading morning paper with a cup of tea…all of a sudden Budi deals a hard slap on to the paper with his front paws, bringing it down, or causing a wedge - rendering it impossible for me to hold it in front of the eyes. But Budi is happy as he can see my face and I his antics.

When my reading session is too lengthy, Budi stealthily removes one of my slippers from my feet and then starts a frenzied running around the house, tossing it in the air and then catching it and bolting like a consummate hunter. The session continues till he is tired enough and then he puts the slipper down and takes a rest. But slightest movement on my part alerts him again and there is another round of frenzied running around from room to room in circles. In the end, when I am sure that he has forgotten it, I have to look around every nook and cranny of the house for my lost slipper. If I am lucky, I would find it on my bed over the bedcover or his hiding place—a narrow tunnel under my bed, between the wall and the bedbox…

Budi is too nosy. One can not do anything without Budi supervising the whole operation. If you want to arrange the mess in the wardrobe, Budi will lodge himself into the depth of the shelf, with only two eyes flashing from the darkness like two jewels, or if you open the lid of the bedbox for retrieving some extra wrappings, pillows or bolsters, Budi will leap inside, knowing full well that you won’t have the heart to shut him down inside. After all he is the pet of the house. If you are alone God save you, for you may be standing for eternity holding the heavy lid shouting for help, until someone lures him out with a piece of mutton bone (the real one, not synthetic which come from Bangkok)

If you are watching TV, he will bring one of his ‘poo poos’ or squeaky toys placing it on your lap, which means you play with him the ‘throwing and fetching’ game. Experience makes you wiser and you try to throw it as far as possible for some peace for however short, it may be.

Crafty as Budi is, still he is like a gush of fresh air, filling the house with youthful energy. Scold him, show him the cane, pet him or smooch him, but you can’t ignore him

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think boo deserves his own comic strip just like marmaduke.