Thursday, March 19, 2009

When Budi asked for second helping

Budi has said before that he loves eating mutton stew with onion. But is it possible to satisfy every demand of children?

Baba is a foodie, though age and health concerns have forced him to start liking vegetarian food, which now a days he eats without grumbling. But he wants to see Budi eating his lunch with relish and buys mutton atleast twice in a month. I often argue with Baba, blaming him for spoiling Budi and I have my reasons for saying that. After Budi returns home from his early morning walk with Baba, I take him out for his second round. On the way we meet dogs of different breeds, St. Barnard, Great Dane, Labrodors ,Pomerians, Golden retriever, Pugs and Spitzs. If I see their tails wagging, I make it a point to bring them face to face. The tails never lie. They sniff each other making friendly overtures. While they are busy knowing each other, we ask for their names, exchange information about their vets, age, sex, food habits etc. I have found that most of them are vegetarian. The reason could be that the owners themselves are vegetarians. As I was saying, I often argue with Baba that why should Budi not love vegetarian food? I give him things like rice with mashed potatoes and butter, or Rajma beans cooked like mutton, but sadly Budi just sniffs the food and walks away, with Baba looking as crestfallen as Budi.

This does not mean that the food is wasted. If Budi knows how to pressurize us, we also have learnt to pay him back in his own coins. In the evening when Baba or I bring out our walking shoes, Budi knows it is time for his evening walk, he runs to his plate and polishes off his food, knowing full well that he will not be taken out unless he eats.

Last Sunday Baba had been to the Mall, especially for buying Budi's mutton.. Today, I took out the mutton from the deep fridge and put it on the kitchen ledge. After a while I saw Budi standing beside me on his hind legs holding the ledge with his front paws, craning his neck towards the mutton bowl. After that he camped himself outside the kitchen door - watching my every move.

It was lunch time. His plate was laid with his favourit dish. Budi polished off everything at one go. Then he came upto me and stood beside me holding my waist, but he could not reach my face. Then he started jumping like a langoor - as high as my face. I was puzzled, what was he upto? I looked at Baba with a question mark.

Baba said, "he is saying something, can't you understand ?”
“what!!”
“He wants second helping”
“Oh really!! Sure”..

It was a pleasure watching Budi eat.

2 comments:

ambrosia said...

I am not too glad about Budi being greedy and his parents spoiling him.

Mukta Dutta said...

Budi Boo desrves a second helping for being such an effective communicator. Last time i met him he told me he is missing Babi didi for his yearly hair cut. Noone gives him a better one.....he said.