Friday, May 2, 2008

Budi Goes Shopping

One day Baba announced that I was grown enough to accompany him for morning walks. And I needed a leash. Next Sunday we all went shopping at Khan Market. The shop was full of attractive items. Ma’s eyes caught some training literature. It seems she had planned great things for me so she picked up a fat book with a glossy cover for teaching me some nice things. After a lot of searching and arguments a red colour velvet neck band was selected. It had a bell and a loop for attaching the leash. Babi didi bought some toys, which I would chew, as I was cutting my milk teeth. I was in Runu didi’s lap and saw many pretty girls eyeing me covetously, dashing smiles at me. I discovered that I liked girls better than boys (My infatuation for girls landed me in such embarrassing situations afterwards).

I started going out with Baba for walks. As I walked the bell tinkled. Once in a while, when Ma’s vegetable stock was exhausted, she would come along with us. We would walk to the fair price vegetable outlet. I waited outside the shop with Baba who would alight his cigarette while Ma selected veggies and fruits. While on our way back home, Baba would engage a Rikshaw. I would perch on Ma’s lap, enjoying the ride very much - wishing the journey never to end. And feeling the happiest babe in the world!

After reading a few pages of that book, Ma gave it up - drawing a final curtain on my formal education. As a result, I became the most spoilt, mischievous and self willed little brat. The list of complaints against me kept on growing, drawing comparison with Rajadada, so gentle was he and here I was a “Tile Khocchhor” (as said by Baba and translated as scoundrel in English). But it was not an abuse, rather a term of endearment - I am quite sure about that. You would have to read about my deeds and doings to decide how you would like to call me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boodi Boo, keep writing your memoirs and don't go on sabbatical again. I heard that the cooling system in your study is great, so hope to hear more often from you. I also know you have a treasure of photos of your naughty deeds, for example how you like to get into cupboards and box beds so to become the centre of attention.... so photos please!

Anonymous said...

Babi didi,

Very often I recede into a pensive mood and then the incidents of my infant days come dancing in front of my eyes. I thought better write them out before they are lost. Thanks for giving the leads. I will remember them when I tell my story.